Thursday, January 22, 2009

RSV, My Current Nightmare

Charley was diagnosed with RSV yesterday and boy am I tired. For those of you that may not know what it is, RSV causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages and is common in children. We may get it as adults and it is no more than a cold, but for babies it can be very serious. Charley started the symptoms on Sunday and we are now on day 5. He is only comfortable when I am holding and rocking him in the recliner, sitting upright. He does not like to lay down even if I prop his head up. I was told today that it can last 2-3 weeks and I really do not have the energy or patience for that long of a time. I am very grouchy right now, just ask Katie and Cory. I think they are getting all my frustrations thrown at them these days. Please pray that Charley's fever breaks soon and we can get a good night's rest in our own beds. I have been a little fearful to put him in his crib because I have to watch out for difficult breathing and if he cries from any discomfort, he has a coughing fit and it is hard to get him calm again. My doc said that RSV is at it's peak right now, so remember to wash wash wash and wash your hands to get rid of the germs. BTW, did I mention my other baby (Cory) is coming down with a cold, he got it from Charley but hopefully he can be a "big boy" and not need mommy 24/7.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

My prayers are with you for a good night's sleep tonight. I hope you don't get sick after all this!

Jennifer Gallagher said...

Poor baby and mama! Sarsaparilla. Works wonders on RSV. Good job taking care of him! Hang in there and make sure you take your vitamins so you don't get it too!