Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving Feast


This week, I made a Thanksgiving Feast for our international students from OU. Our family has become a host family for Ai, a Japanese student and Lee, a Korean student. We visit with them every week over dinner and since we were going to be out of town next week, I made a delicious Thanksgiving dinner. Ai and Lee brought three friends to celebrate Thankgiving with us. We fried a turkey and I made stuffing, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, stewed green beans with red potatoes and ham hock, homemade cranberry sauce/jello, my Granny's pecan pie and pumpkin pie. As we watched the turkey fry, I had a cheeseball that I made for us to munch on with Triskets. The only thing I was missing was my mom's green goop (what my uncle Jimmy called broccoli casserole) and of course my Aunt Vinita's 7 layer salad.
We had a great time. The students had never participated in an American Thanksgiving feast. We told them that we always pray and thank God for what he has provided us and we explained the first Thanksgiving.
I love their culture. Family is very important and they love children very much. I love to see how patient and kind Ai is to Katie's many questions and comments. She takes in every word with a smile. Katie cannot wait to see her every week.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I'm so glad it went well. Looks like fun! I've been thinking about you today. I guess Charley's better?

Anonymous said...

God is good & will bless you more & more.